Monday Morning Meeting #43
Welcome to another edition of The Monday Morning Meeting from Filament — a mix of news, the tools we use, and a handful of interesting things that will help you think differently about your week ahead.
IDEAS & LINKS
“What makes a great manager isn’t the problems they solve, but the questions they ask.” Here are 16 great ones to get you started. Some favorites:
Is there anything you might be explaining away too quickly?
Which part of the issue or scenario seems most uncertain, befuddling, and difficult to predict?
What would happen if you didn’t do anything at all?
When you begin to approach a challenge, are you working in a simple, complicated, or complex system?
A Simple system is one that has a single path to a single answer. If you want to get to the solution, there is one, and only one, way to do it.
A Complicated system is one that has multiple paths to a single answer. To get to the answer, you have multiple different choices you can make. However, there is only one correct solution.
A Complex system is one that has multiple paths to multiple answers.
How do you spend the first three hours of each workday? Here’s why the answer might determine your success.
Here’s a better way to ask someone if you can “pick their brain” (as someone who gets asked this a lot, I think this advice is dead-on).
A 100-Podcast Syllabus. I’m going to add a few of these to the rotation.
I keep coming back to these “88 things I’ve learned about life” again and again. So much wisdom here, including:
13. If you never doubt your beliefs, then you’re wrong a lot.
17. Every passing face on the street represents a story every bit as compelling and complicated as yours.
31. If what you’re doing feels perfectly safe, there is probably a better course of action.
33. Blame is the favorite pastime of those who dislike responsibility.
45. High quality is worth any quantity, in possessions, friends and experiences.
58. To write a person off as worthless is an act of great violence.
67. The secret ingredient is usually butter, in obscene amounts.
74. A good nine out of ten bad things I’ve worried about never happened. A good nine out of ten bad things that did happen never occurred to me to worry about.
80. Breaking new ground only takes a small amount more effort than you’re used to giving.
88. Killing time is an atrocity. It’s priceless, and it never grows back.
A SPECIAL OFFER FROM OUR FRIENDS AT EQ
EQ is hosting their first ever conference, EQ Leadership Labs, on Monday April 15th (Tax Day!) in association with the Midwest Digital Marketing Conference (MDMC) at St. Louis Union Station. During this one-day conference, EQ Leadership Labs will play host to more than 40 speakers presenting solo sessions and panel discussions across four tracks, covering:
Sales & Growth
Marketing & Influence
Culture & Change
Leadership & Intention
Friends of Filament can save over $100 by registering via this secret link: https://www.entrepreneurquarterly.com/offers/Vz4aHwyN
"A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something." - Frank Capra
"Intuition will tell the thinking mind where to look next." - Jonas Salk
“Who knows what you might learn from taking a chance on conversation with a stranger? Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others…” - Timothy Leary